We’re all aware how much it pervades the MSM but I was surprised by the extent it has affected the hundreds of American polling organizations as well. After all, these people are paid to win elections and their reputations used to depend upon accuracy.
I alluded in Dime’s post “TOTD 2018/1/27: Never Feed a Troll” to Trump’s intention to make polling a truly reputable tool. His campaign chose to change the nature of sample questions based upon the fact that many people are reluctant to express their true opinions for fear of repercussions. This was a brilliant strategy indeed as I was about to discover after reading the best of the Trump books out there so far, How Trump Won by Joel Pollak and Larry Schweikart.
What I was not prepared to discover was the disingenuous and manipulative nature of the majority of pollsters in this country who were determined to navigate a Clinton victory. Nearly 90% of them distorted their samples to enhance the Clinton campaign.
Here is a sample of Machiavellian tactics at work:
- Polling question #1: Can we speak to the youngest voter in the household?
- After determining the registered status of the individual, they chose to represent 26% of Republicans in the samples.
- They chose to over-represent women by 60%.
The list goes on but what has become apparent is that pollsters actively skewed questions and results in order to present a Clinton presidency as a fait accompli that would discourage Trump supporters from turning out to vote.
God Bless the Trumpsters because this only infuriated and energized them.
But the greatest irony of all:
They misled the Clinton campaign so thoroughly that they spent millions of dollars unwisely. Clinton didn’t step foot in Wisconsin, Michigan, or Pennsylvania in the last months of her campaign. As a former Michigan native, even I knew what would happen there and I was right. (Trump should have hired me to work that state!)
Trump won Michigan by only 10,000 votes but this is how it went down:
There are only 3 counties that matter.
- Wayne- urban Detroit but turnout was half what it was for Obama. Quelle surprise!
- Oakland- (where I grew up) is primarily composed of affluent car execs and soccer moms. Trump only won 35% here as to be expected. People who live there have the luxury to worry more about PETA than real issues.
- MACOMB- the land of the highly skilled working class automakers (tool and die makers for example) who have been out of work for a decade. This county was the deciding factor in the state win and even in the national election. Kudos to them because this has been a socio-economic demographic so discouraged by government, many hadn’t voted for 20 years.
Trump seemed to find an entirely new network of voters that Democrats apparently didn’t realize existed- eligible, but disinterested!
I don’t do the book How Trump Won true justice but please try to read it; it is a significant educational tool to use when making future political decisions.