Have you ever noticed how much of the Easter Story is in 007? Probably not because it is not the most pious of stories. Just think a little. The same plot elements are there. (Other plot elements I will not touch shaken or stirred.)
- A man is sent to an exotic place.
- A man has a dual identity.
- The man is part of a select group to save the world.
- There is a betrayal by a close friend.
- The “gun” is laid down to protect a weak person.
- A machine of death is involved. “Goodbye, Mr. Bond.”
- Death is cheated. “Not you again, Mr. Bond.”
- The story ends in triumph.
- The person leaves the exotic place.
I propose the reason we love Bond or Superman is that it basically is the Easter Story updated. They touch a deep part of us. Why? Because though many parts are fiction, they relate some eternal truth. We believe one man can save the world.