Here at Ratburger.org, we seem to be in agreement that what the Left wants is the downfall of western civilization and a re-making of America into a Leftist totalitarian state.
If you need evidence to convince your friends that this is what the Left wants, here is a survey reported in an essay at Quillette.
“The Great Awokening and the Second American Revolution”
The author is Eric Kaufmann, is a Canadian professor:
Eric Kaufmann is professor of politics at Birkbeck College, University of London, and author of Whiteshift: Immigration, Populism and the Future of White Majorities (Penguin/Abrams, 2019).
He hates President Trump and has internalized all the Leftist and Never lies about Trump. Nevertheless, he has been sounding the alarm about immigration from Muslim countries and his book is about the crisis that is building from demographic trends. He also has been writing critically about misleading and harmful “Left-modernist social constructs.”
He surveyed attitudes in America.
Quotes from Eric Kaufmann’s article:
The iconoclasts are changing minds, and could be in a position to enact a root-and-branch reconstruction of America into something completely unrecognizable to its present-day inhabitants.
Like Red Guards with a hair-trigger sensitivity for sniffing out the bourgeois, today’s left-modernist offense archaeologists outdo each other in trying to reframe the world as racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, and so on. Turning the principle of charity on its head, they insist on the most suspicious interpretation of a person’s motives when the subject matter is associated with their canonical totems of race, gender, sexuality. A Hispanic man flicking his fingers outside his truck window gets fired because this was photographed, tweeted, and spun as the “OK” white power sign. The result is an atmosphere where inter-personal trust is as low as humanly possible while discursive power flows to the accuser. The new cultural revolutionaries have constructed our emotional and conceptual reality.
…I decided, on May 7th, to ask what I thought were outlandish questions—almost to the point of inflicting a Sokal Squared-style hoax on survey respondents. The answers I received amazed me. I then repeated the exercise on June 15th, after the George Floyd killing and subsequent protests to see whether things had gotten even crazier. It turns out they have.
Here is what I asked people to agree or disagree with:
- Rebalance the history taught in schools until its voices and subjects reflect the demographics of the population and heritage of Native people and citizens of color. 60%
- Move, after public consultation, to a new American anthem that better reflects our diversity as a people. 71%
- Rename our cities and towns until they match the demographics of the population. 36%
- Rebalance the art shown in museums across the country until an analysis of content shows that it reflects the demography of the population and perspective of Native people and citizens of color. 76%
- Move, after an open public process, to a new name for our country that better reflects the contributions of Native Americans and our diversity as a people. 33%
- Rename our states until they better reflect the heritage of Native people and citizens of color. 28%
- Gradually replace many older public buildings with new structures that don’t perpetuate a Eurocentric order, until a more representative public space is achieved. 52%
- Respectfully remove the monument to four white male presidents at Mount Rushmore, as they presided over the conquest of Native people and repression of women and minorities. 44%
- Allow our public parks to return to their natural state, before a European sense of order was imposed upon them. 58%
- Move, after public consultation, to a new American flag that better reflects our diversity as a people. 32%
- Consider adopting a new national language, that will be forged from the immigrant and Native linguistic diversity of this country’s past. 15%
- Remove existing statues of white men from public spaces until the stock of statues matches the demographics of the population. 51%
- Gently remodel the statue of liberty to make it better reflect the diversity of America. 20%
- Rename our streets and neighbourhoods until they match the demographics of the population. 47%
- Move, after public consultation, to a new American constitution that better reflects our diversity as a people. 70%
- Begin changing the layout of our cities, towns, and highways, moving away from the grid system to follow the more natural trails originally used by Native people. 23%
[I put the percentages on the list above. That is his finding for the percentage of liberals, not “Far-Left” respondents, who approve of these proposals. The percentages for Far-Left respondents was either equal or higher in all cases, sometimes much higher. I added these values here because I could not copy his charts at a good-enough resolution.]
[In the article he discusses trends. Attitudes shifted to the left during the riots, at a significant level. The bottom line on trends is that his sample, which is young and white, trended a half point more Democrat and a third of a point less Republican over the month between his surveys in May and June.]
More from Professor Kaufmann’s essay:
Today’s “woke” cultural Jacobins are acting rationally by trying to destroy the country’s traditions. Put simply, the goal of equalizing the representation of social groups clashes with the desire to maximize cultural depth. Cultural solidarity, like liberty, is in tension with the idea that groups of all kinds must have equal billing in the symbolic pantheon. Offense archaeology is the enemy of meaning-driven archaeology.
Homosexuality and atheism, for instance, are no longer the taboos they once were. The erosion of those taboos contributed to liberalism, but what happens when taboos tack in the opposite direction, toward an authoritarian censorship of critics of atheism and gay marriage, in the name of preventing “harm”? This barely perceptible change, from negative to positive liberalism, has enormous implications for human freedom. It’s in full swing because today’s dominant ideology of left-modernism has discovered that controlling social norms is the key to shifting the flock in its desired direction. The Right has been caught flat-footed, obsessed by tax cuts and foreign policy, both of which coincidentally (?) allow it to steer clear of the sacred cows of left-modernism.
Once this norm innovation is lodged in the DNA of elite institutions, government agencies, corporations and much of the media, “truths” like “systemic racism” or “speech is violence” become sacred values that cannot be questioned by evidence. Today there is still a struggle to be had, so left-modernist radicals are fighting to consolidate their grip on the ethos of institutions through advertising boycotts, Twitter mobs and internal staff activism. As under Maoism, once compromised, institutions compete to outdo each other in exemplifying left-modernism’s values.
A new cultural nationalism offers the best hope for the survival of American myth, symbol, and memory. Whether the American consciousness survives or goes the way of the Provençals depends on it.