2019 August 6
Updated the Stop Spammers plug-in to version 2019.1. This update consists of three one-line fixes in stop-spammer-registrations-new.php to correct idiot function calls which failed to quote the string argument specifying a function name. We fixed these in local code on 2018-07-12, shortly after migrating to the Linux 2 AMI, where they started dribbling warning messages in the error_log. Now, more than a year later, the developers have apparently taken a glance at the error_log and gotten around to fixing it. Note that one of the function calls they "fixed" is in a comment. I integrated our local code in the two modified files in the update and applied the kit. Everything looks OK, as it should be after such a trivial update. The /server/cron/backupRatburgerDB backup job has been running smoothly since mid-July, so I commented out the lsl of the rclone remote directory to reduce the size of the twice-daily confirmation E-mails. I don't know the cause--perhaps my aggressive stance in firewalling the entire networks of rogue ISP, mostly in Russia and Ukraine, which keep hitting us with attacks of various kinds is paying off--but in the last couple of weeks I have been seeing essentially none of the memory exhaustion panics we used to get every couple of days. Since these are almost always due to mass attacks such as login storms that fill up the php-fpm worker processes, it may be (or, perhaps I should say, I sincerely hope) that we've staked sufficiently many of the bloodsuckers whence they emanate that we're not seeing enough of them any more to trigger the alarm. Committed the Stop Spammers version 2019.1 update (Build 339) and published on GitHub.